Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blog tour - "Speakeasy" by A.M. Dunnewin



Historical Fiction / Thriller
Date Published: December 26, 2011

The novella is centered on Eddie Durante, owner of a speakeasy that's supported by Eddie's mobster uncle, the boss of the Durante family. The back story is that Eddie is a young widower after his family's rival, the Caprice family, murdered his wife over a territory dispute. After devising a plan that retaliated against four of the rivaling capos, Eddie is left with the daunting task to try and move on, until a family member notifies him that the Caprices have put a hit man in the speakeasy - and Eddie's name is on the list. But things take an unexpected turn when Eddie and his close friends start to find the dead bodies of Eddie’s relatives, the ones who had helped in the retaliation.
     Behind the backdrop of the jazz music and glistening flappers, murder after murder begins to unravel as revenge takes center stage, and Eddie soon learns that some secrets can’t be taken to the grave.





A.M. Dunnewin
A. M. Dunnewin inherited her love for mysteries and thrillers from her family, which helped her pursue a BA in Psychology with a minor in Criminal Justice. Although her stories cover a wide range of genres, she primarily writes historical fiction and thrillers. An avid reader at heart, she's also a passionate collector of both antique books and graphic novels. She lives in Sacramento, California.

BUY LINKS


Createspace: https://www.createspace.com/3757116

and now for a little one on one with the A.M. Dunnewin



1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or did you want to be something else? 


I always loved writing, but I never took it seriously until right after high school. I had always wanted to do something creative, first art then interior design. But I couldn't get the stories out of my head. It wasn't until I actually finished writing a story that I realized that I wanted to write for the rest of my life.

2. How long does it take you to write a book from start to finish?


It really depends on the story. Speakeasy took 5 weeks, from the start of the idea to actually publishing. My recent book, The Benighted, took me about 8 months to write but the editing is still ongoing. Then there's a Victorian-era novel that I'm still editing and writing, which has passed the 10 year anniversary mark. Usually once a story grips me, it won't let go until I'm done. But that's only if the characters are willing to cooperate.

3. How do you come up with themes for your stories?

Almost anything: music, looking through pictures, playing a video game, interacting with people, people watching. I've get ideas from all sorts of places.

4. Do you have a schedule of when you write? 

I'm a night owl at heart, so my best writing comes at night. Granted, I carry a notebook with me so I can write during the day, but my hardcore writing usually hits right when I'm suppose to go to bed.

5. How are you able to balance other aspects of your life with your writing?

I have to admit that I do use my writing as therapy some days. I usually write after work or in the evenings on weekends, only because by the end of the day I can release whatever frustrations or joy that I have left lingering around.

6. What elements do you think make a great story line?

It seems like the great story lines are able to balance drama, comedy, action, suspense, and a little bit of heartache in their plot. An author who can intertwine all those elements just right has a masterpiece on their hands.

7. What was the hardest thing about writing a book?

Having patience. There are times I wish my books would write some of the scenes themselves because I want to get to a different scene or start on a sequel.  

8. How many books have you written so far? Do you have a favorite? 

So far, I've only written Speakeasy: A Novella, along with Puncher's Chance and Gaslight Row which are part of the Imaginarium Short Stories. I had fun writing all of them, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

9. Do you have a favorite character?

In Speakeasy, my favorite character was Anthony. He came around much more naturally, and was so fun to write because of his humor and dramatic expressions.

10. Where do you write?

In the comforts of my room, though I do write scenes and pointers in a notebook whenever I go somewhere.

11. When deciding on how to publish, what directed you to the route you took?

I had always wanted to take the traditional way of publishing, but after being rejected multiple times like most authors, I decided to take my fate into my own hands and self-publish. I've learned so much already, and I'm really glad I went in this direction. 

12. Have you gotten feedback from family about your book(s)? What do they think?

Since they're my family, they loved it. They didn't hide their opinion of how brutal I am to my characters, but several have told me that they read the book multiple times because they enjoyed it so much.

13. What kinds of things do you like to do outside of writing?

I love reading books and graphic novels, so I'm usually trying to catch up in between my own stories. Otherwise I'm listening to music, watching movies, or doing something crafty.

14. What kinds of advice would you give to someone who wants to start writing? 

Once you start writing, keep writing. Life is filled with ideas, so don't panic if you can't find the right story right away. Just keep writing, and the characters will come to you.

16. What is your favorite book? Favorite author? Do you have an author that inspired/inspires you to write? 

My favorite book would have to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, just because of the suspense she builds and the twist at the end. My favorite author would have to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Allen Poe, because they're both so expressive, though I do like Alexandre Dumas for his intriguing plots and colorful characters. I love classic literature, so really they've all somehow inspired me.

17. Do you have any go to people when writing a book that help you with your story lines as well as editing, beta reading and such? 

My main go to person is my dearest friend and editor, Gina Scott. She's encouraging and honest, which are two wonderful traits to have in not only a friend but a fellow writer. She lets me know when I'm on the verge of a great idea or a terrible one. I owe a lot to her.

18. Are you working on anything now?

I just finished The Benighted, which is the first novel in a saga I'm writing. I hope to have it ready for readers in the very near future. I'm also writing spastically on another novella that is a little bit of a spin-off of Speakeasy. If I keep up the momentum, it should be available before the end of the year. The title is still being decided.

My Review:


Eddie is a young widower moving up in the world of the mob, is wife was killed by a rival family.  After the death of his family, Eddie tries to move on while running his Speakeasy and things are going good until the Caprice family retalitates and he is on the list to be offed.  As people start showing up dead, Eddie starts to get a little nervous.  Can Eddie face his fears to save those that he cares about or will he run? 

.  I’m not one to read books about mobsters but this one sounded interesting and it meet if not exceeded what I was expecting.  There was some sort of action right from the beginning and little twists here and there with one big ol’ surprise that left you saying “Oh My God!”.  I enjoyed reading this and suggest adding it to your to be read list if you are into reading about mobsters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment