Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Blog tour - "Linked" by Judy Serrano






Linked
Linked Series Book One
Judy Serrano


Genre: Paranormal Romance


Publisher: Black Rose Writing

Date of Publication: July 18th, 2013


Number of pages: 263
Word Count: 81,403

Cover Artist: Danielle Barnard

Amazon    BN

Book Description:

Daphne Foster is a substitute teacher stuck in an English class, waiting for that dreaded parent-teacher conference. With much preparation and anxiety, she encounters the unforgettable Charlie Cross. His charm and good looks, win her over but rumors of his involvement with organized crime make his continued disappearances disturbing.

In walks Heathcliff Vanderpool, creating a love triangle of unusual sorts. Unknown to Daphne, Heathcliff and Charlie are old friends: Older than she could have imagined. With Charlie away on business, Daphne and Heathcliff discover a passion between them lying beneath the surface. As their souls link, pulling away from Charlie becomes next to impossible. Will his involvement in organized crime consume them both before she’s able to get free? When you become “linked,” the choice may not be your own.





Excerpt:
“Mr. Cross,” I started, leaning into him so that no one else could hear me. “What are you doing here?”
“It’s nice to see you too, Miss Foster.”
“I think we’re passed the formalities now, don’t you?” I asked.
“Daphne, then.” My name played so softly on his lips that I shuddered, and embarrassingly so. He smiled. “Then you must call me Charlie.” He kissed the backs of my hands. “I see I already have a positive effect on you.”
“Don’t read too much into it,” I told him. “It’s just a chill.”
“Or maybe a warm sensation,” he whispered, putting his finger on my face and tracing it down to my lips. I swallowed hard and I know my face was yet again bright red.
I looked over at Janice who was having a pleasant conversation with his brother. Then I looked back at him. “Does your wife know you frequent schools to pick up teachers?” I asked.
“You mean substitute teachers,” he answered. I stuck my tongue out at him. “I like when you do that.”
“Stop it,” I whispered harshly. “Look. I’m sure I’m not the type of woman that you’re used to. Especially since I know first hand that you’re married, and I think I already mentioned that I don’t date married men.”
The waitress showed up with four shots of tequila. I looked at him in amazement. “Really?” I asked.
“Come on, Daphne, let go a little,” Janice added, shining like a brand new diamond.
We downed the shots and Charlie got a little too close. “I find you irresistible, Daphne.” He leaned in so that he was almost whispering in my ear. “I don’t know what it is about you, but I must have you.” He took my hand and brought it to his cheek.
“What is it that you do, Mr. Cross?” I asked.
“I thought we were past formalities.”
“Charlie,” I corrected. “Sorry. What do you do for a living?”
“I’m a businessman,” he answered. “Acquisitions are my specialty.”
“And what exactly do you acquire?” I asked. “And please do not say women.”
“I do not buy and sell women,” he answered, his voice getting suddenly harsh. “But when I see something I want, I go after it until it yields to me.”
I pulled my hand away from his face and looked at him. He was most unsettling. “You think I’m just going to fall right into your arms, don’t you, Charlie.”
“Not into my arms, necessarily,” he answered. “but certainly into my bed.”

About the Author:

Judy Serrano graduated from Texas A&M University, Commerce with a BA in English. She is a member of Romance Writers of America and Dallas Area Romance Authors.

She is a substitute teacher at the local school district and writes for various on-line publications. She is the author of Easter's Lilly, Brother Number Three, Relatively Close and Memoirs of a Mobster, which are romantic thrillers and part of The Easter’s Lilly Series.

Judy currently resides in Texas with her husband, four children (all boys) and five dogs. She is also a singer/songwriter in her spare time.






LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/judy-serrano/2b/b07/474/



now for a little one on one before my review



  1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or did you want to be something else?
When I was young(er) I was both a writer and a singer. I loved them both but was gently persuaded to find a “back-up plan,” since my points of interest were unlikely to succeed. I see now how easily your back-up plan can become the plan. I never imagined that I would be the author of two separate series and still writing more. It is truly the most rewarding career I could have ever expected.

2. How long does it take you to write a book from start to finish?
If I am not distracted it will take me three months to write a novel. Now, I also teach and sub, so I am often distracted. But when I have time, I can write 5 to 6 thousand words in one sitting. The voices in my head, beg to be heard, so to speak.
3. How do you come up with themes for your stories?
I often dream my storylines. I will wake up with a great idea, run to my MacBook and jot it down. When I finally sit down to write it, the characters then take on a life of their own and take me in their own direction.
4. Do you have a schedule of when you write?
No, scheduling is not my strong point. I have a husband, four children, five dogs, a few freelance writing jobs and my teaching jobs to consider. So, when I find I have some spare time, out comes the flash drive. I carry it everywhere I go. 
5. How are you able to balance other aspects of your life with your writing?
It is certainly not easy. I make sure that children and family come first and then all the other things get done in priority order. Somehow, it all manages to get done.6. What elements do you think make a great story line? 
I personally need a little romance somewhere in the story. I love a good alpha male, suspense, action, and some unpredictability. I try to throw some twists and turns into mine. It certainly makes it a wilder ride.
7. What was the hardest thing about writing a book?
I think the hardest thing about writing a book is the editing. I love writing the story, I love dreaming about my storylines, stealing away a moment here and there to visit with my characters, and leaving the reader in suspense. But when I have to go back over it and re-read and re-edit… it can be grueling.
8. How many books have you written so far? Do you have a favorite?
 
I have a series out called “The Easter’s Lilly Series,” and there are four books out so far. That one is a romantic suspense/thriller. Book 5 is coming out in September and book six will be out in 2014. “Linked” is my recent release. It is a paranormal romance and book two will be out sometime next year. I also have a book called, “Ivy Vines, Visions.” This one is a paranormal romance/thriller, and has not yet been released. So, 5 published and four on their way out the door. They are all so different that I can’t say that I really have a favorite. If I have to pick one I think I would pick “Memoirs of a Mobster.” It is book 4 of the Lilly series. It is Lilly’s oldest son as an adult. It is thrilling, fun, and sexy all at the same time. But don’t just read that one. You need to start from book one to get the meaning of the series.

9. Do you have a favorite character?
I have a few. In “The Easter’s Lilly Series,” my favorite character is Hector Montiago. He is one of Lilly’s lovers. He is a good guy gone bad who is redeemed. You can’t help but love sexy Hector the protector. In “The Linked Series,” my favorite character is Dante Franco. He is Charlie’s brother. (Charlie is the heroine’s love interest). Dante came out of nowhere and I feel like he stole the show. He will be featured in book two of the series. He needs his day in the sun.
10. Where do you write?
My laptop is on a table in my living room by my couch. But… I can write anywhere. I can write in a McDonald’s, a school cafeteria, or even a park. I block out surrounding noise pretty easily.
11. When deciding on how to publish, what directed you to the route you took? 

I just feel blessed to have my work out there and read.
12. Have you gotten feedback from family about your book(s)? What do they think?I have found that family can be most critical. I am not sure why, really. My immediate family, such as my husband and my boys are incredibly supportive. I do have some wonderful friends who are avid readers of all my craziness. But I was surprised that family wasn’t more supportive.

13. What kinds of things do you like to do outside of writing?
I sing and play guitar. I am also a great dancer. Just kidding. Thought I’d give any friends or family reading this a good laugh. I do sing and play guitar though and sometimes I play for my church with my family. I have a son who plays drums and the rest of them sing. It is crazy fun.

14. What kinds of advice would you give to someone who wants to start writing?
 Don’t let others discourage you. I have discovered that with quite a few writers, people who are close to them, tend to think it is a pipedream and don’t take them seriously. It can be disappointing when the people you expect to stand behind you just don’t. Also, don’t write for the market. Write from the heart. The market will change but when you write from the heart, you will satisfy your inner most desires.

16. What is your favorite book? Favorite author? Do you have an author that inspired/inspires you to write? 
Hmmm… I mostly have favorite books, as opposed to favorite authors. “Hunger Games,” “Beautiful Disaster,” “Something Borrowed,” are some of my favorites. Stephanie Tyler, author of “The Shadow Force Series,” and Nora Roberts, author of “The MacKade Brothers,” certainly inspired me. Stephanie is romantic suspense and Nora is alpha male romance. I took the two styles and combined them.

17. Do you have any go to people when writing a book that help you with your story lines as well as editing, beta reading and such?
 
My husband. He will help me with storylines when I am at a crossroads. He also helps me with the first edit. If there’s anyone I can count on for the truth it is my husband. I used to ask my mom for editing help but she was just a little
too hard on me. My hubby will tell it like it is with a gentle touch.
18. Are you working on anything now?
Right now I have two books in the works. The sixth book of “The Easter’s Lilly Series,” and the second book of “The Linked Series.” Charlie’s brother Dante is about to get the exposure he’s been dying for.
www.JudySerrano.com




a Rafflecopter giveaway

Note:  I was supposed to do a review today however I didn't receive the book until late last week so my review will be up at a later time

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting my excerpt and the interview. I often put updates about my books on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JudySerranoAuthor?ref=ts
    If you have a chance to visit and "like" it, you will also be introduced to my romantic suspense novels, "The Easter's Lilly Series." It is a mobolicious love story! Thanks again, Tanya, for your support.

    ReplyDelete